SantaCon, set this year for Dec. 17, is one of the city’s few themed bar crawls that is celebrated not only nationally, but internationally as well. Over the years, the event has expanded to include 380 cities in 51 countries. Some cities even have more than one SantaCon, so regardless of where you might find yourself this time of year, you, too, can join in the naughty fun.
Our local organizer, Santa Michael, says, “This is our sixth year of SantaCon in Savannah. We are a free pub crawl. We just ask that everyone bring a toy of about $15 or more in value so we can do a donation for Toys for Tots.
“Also bring small toys, Santa hats and candy for regular citizens we encounter. Lastly, bring a positive and gregarious attitude.”
Final details of the crawl route will be found the night before the event on the Facebook event page.
“The bar list will be posted on SantaCon eve,” says Santa Michael. “We will start at noon at an establishment that serves food; there will be another restaurant mid-day. We will end with Santa karaoke at Bay Street Blues.”
IF YOU GO
What: SantaCon Savannah 2016
When: Noon-10 p.m. Dec. 17
Where: Downtown Savannah; start at B&D Burgers on Congress Street
Cost: Free; toy donations requested for Toys for Tots
Info: Facebook event page
1. Bring gifts: Naughty gifts for grown-ups and nice gifts for kids.
2. Too-drunk Santa does not bring Christmas cheer. Don’t be that Santa.
3. Always pay for your drinks and tip the bar staff. Cash is encouraged.
4. Stay with the group. Santa is safer with large numbers of fellow Santas.
5. Dress up! Unusual interpretations of Santa-ness are much appreciated.
6. Santa doesn’t drink and drive. Check public transport or get a designated driver.