Jacy Vergara, a co-leader of the Savannah chapter of Moms Run This Town, offered a few tips on planning a team costume for the Enmark Savannah River Bridge Run on Dec. 6:
1. Group voting and plan ahead. With this many ladies in one group, you know choices are going to be far and wide. We set up a voting system and had everyone come up with costume ideas. There were three or four in the final running and we all voted. We also made sure to plan ahead so that we had enough time for all of us to prepare.
2. Keep the costume simple. With a group this large, we like to give everyone options. The materials need to be relatively inexpensive and easy to run in. We prefer lightweight and breathable, something that won't get ruined by sweat or rain.
3. Power in numbers. Moms Run This Town is a free running group devoted to women. Some of us have kids and some don't, but what we do have in common is our love for running and fitness. Running in costume unites us in numbers and shows our joy for the sport.
4. Have access to a vinyl cutting machine. One of our chapter leaders has a vinyl cutter and she provides the group with team logos and customized graphics that we can all iron on to our shirts.
5. Have fun! The most important thing in a race is to have fun. What makes a race more entertaining than being in a costume?